Everything that can be done to save this vital resource must be done.
Dear Editor, I VOICE support for the East London AdvertiseR’s noble campaign to save Bancroft Library as part of a well-aimed 'Save Our History' campaign. Everything that can be done to save this vital historical and community resource must be done. The newspaper is leading the way
I VOICE support for the East London Advertiser's noble campaign to save Bancroft Library as part of a well-aimed Save Our History campaign.
Everything that can be done to save this vital historical and community resource must be done. The newspaper is leading the way.
The vital and unique historical collection held at Bancroft is priceless and should be treated as such, as a national treasure considering the important role the social history of the East End has played in forming Britain's modern social identity.
You may also want to watch:
Members of the Whitechapel Society over the years have benefited greatly from the services and archives held at Bancroft.
Some have also donated various research notes, obscure press cuttings and other material to the Bancroft to help others in future research.
- 1 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 2 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 3 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 4 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 5 Police renew appeal over disappearance of man last seen in Poplar
- 6 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 7 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 8 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 9 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 10 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
Their benevolent donations are now under jeopardy from the actions proposed by Tower Hamlets council.
Breaking up and dispersing the Bancroft will destroy this archive which must be preserved in the East End as a whole. The people will be deprived of this significant resource if it is broken up and relocated to the edges of the borough, rather destroying its intention.
Bancroft Library preserves the East End's historical memory, heart and soul. To threaten that is to destroy it.
Adrian Morris, Editor
Whitechapel Society Journal