Facelifts for two churches and a mosque in Tower Hamlets
TWO East End churches and a mosque will be getting a revamp after receiving thousands of pounds in grants. St John on Bethnal Green, St Matthew s in Bethnal Green and the Brick Lane Jamme Masjid all received money from the Heritage Lottery Fund and Engli
TWO East End churches and a mosque will be getting a revamp after receiving thousands of pounds in grants.
St John on Bethnal Green, St Matthew's in Bethnal Green and the Brick Lane Jamme Masjid all received money from the Heritage Lottery Fund and English Heritage as part of a package being given to Grade I and II listed places of worship in England.
The mosque, which was originally built as a Protestant Church in 1743 before becoming a synagogue during the 19th century and then a mosque in 1976, received a grant of �36,000 for roof repairs.
And the Grade II listed St Matthew's in Saint Matthew's Row, which suffered severe bomb damage during the Second World War and was reconstructed in 1961 received �70,000 for repairs to the tower masonry.
You may also want to watch:
But the Grade I listed Church of St John on the corner of Roman Road and Cambridge Heath Road was given the biggest boost, with �197,000 going towards restoring the tower.
Repairs to the tower kicked-off in 2006 but were left unfinished when the church ran out of money but the recent grant will mean Father Alan Green gets his wish of removing all the old cement facings to expose the original Bath stone again.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 8 O’s seeking to end winless run of three games with win over struggling Saddlers
- 9 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 10 Man, 19, charged after alleged sexual assaults in Tower Hamlets
Father Green said: "The church is an important landmark in Bethnal Green but it is dilapidated, despite the efforts of many local people.
"Only through major grants such as this one can the church become a sign of the true vibrancy that marks its life and the life of the Bethnal Green area.