Families trapped by toxic fumes in night-time East End blaze
A NIGHT-time fire trapped several families in a block of flats in London’s East End. Rubbish bins caught light at the entrance to Bethnal Green’s Rogers Estate in Roman Road at 5am yesterday
A NIGHT-time fire trapped several families in a block of flats in London's East End at the weekend.
Rubbish bins caught light at the entrance to Bethnal Green's Rogers Estate in Roman Road, on the corner of Globe Road, at 5am yesterday.
The flames spread to plastic wall panels which caused toxic smoke rising up the stairwell.
"The cause have been started by a careless cigarette or match," said fire brigade watch manager Martin Warrilow. "There was more rubbish than usual left in the bins and we've advised families to be careful about how they dispose it in future because of the fire risk."
You may also want to watch:
Families woken by the smoke had to stay in their homes with the doors shut while emergency crews from Bethnal Green fire station brought the flames under control and ventilated the building. It took an hour to clear the smoke, but no-one was hurt.
- 1 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 2 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 5 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 6 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 7 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 8 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 9 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 10 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges