Search

Families trapped by toxic fumes in night-time East End blaze

PUBLISHED: 13:00 14 June 2010 | UPDATED: 16:09 05 October 2010

A NIGHT-time fire trapped several families in a block of flats in London’s East End. Rubbish bins caught light at the entrance to Bethnal Green’s Rogers Estate in Roman Road at 5am yesterday

By Mike Brooke

A NIGHT-time fire trapped several families in a block of flats in London's East End at the weekend.

Rubbish bins caught light at the entrance to Bethnal Green's Rogers Estate in Roman Road, on the corner of Globe Road, at 5am yesterday.

The flames spread to plastic wall panels which caused toxic smoke rising up the stairwell.

"The cause have been started by a careless cigarette or match," said fire brigade watch manager Martin Warrilow. "There was more rubbish than usual left in the bins and we've advised families to be careful about how they dispose it in future because of the fire risk."

Families woken by the smoke had to stay in their homes with the doors shut while emergency crews from Bethnal Green fire station brought the flames under control and ventilated the building. It took an hour to clear the smoke, but no-one was hurt.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser