Family call for justice for Ian Tomlinson
CAMPAIGNERS are calling for justice for Ian Tomlinson who died after he was assaulted by police as he got caught up in the G20 demonstrations a year ago. Mr Tomlinson s family were joined by a group of peaceful campaigners as they laid flowers and held a
CAMPAIGNERS are calling for justice for Ian Tomlinson who died after he was assaulted by police as he got caught up in the G20 demonstrations a year ago.
Mr Tomlinson's family were joined by a group of peaceful campaigners as they laid flowers and held a minute's silence at the spot on Cornhill near the Bank of England where he died on April 1 last year.
The 47-year-old newspaper vendor whose family live on the Isle of Dogs collapsed and suffered a heart attack minutes after he was knocked down by a police officer as he made his way home from work.
The assault was captured on video and Mr Tomlinson's stepson Paul King said it had been a long year for his family and added: "We want justice."
You may also want to watch:
He said the family wanted a conviction for the assault on Mr Tomlinson and thanked the protestors for their support in keeping the issue in the public eye.
London Assembly member the Green's Jenny Jones joined the vigil to call for justice for Tomlinson's family. She is a member of the Police Authority and witnessed the G20 demonstrations at the Bank of England last year.
- 1 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 2 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 3 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 4 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 5 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 6 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 7 Photography celebrating Roman Road displayed in high street windows
- 8 Police renew appeal over disappearance of man last seen in Poplar
- 9 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets