Family flee East End blaze after fire breaks out in child’s bedroom

A FAMILY had to evacuate their home after fire broke out in the wardrobe of a child’s bedroom. The blaze in East London damaged the five-year-old’s bedroom in the second-floor flat in Whitechapel

By Mike Brooke

A FAMILY had to evacuate their home yesterday (Sunday) after fire broke out in the wardrobe of a child’s bedroom.

The blaze in East London damaged the five-year-old girl’s bedroom in the family’s second-floor flat at Umberstone Street in Whitechapel. The child’s mother was in the shower when the fire started.

The bedroom was gutted, but three emergency fire-crews from Whitechapel and Shadwell managed to control the flames and stop them spreading to the rest of the flat. The family got out in time.