Search

Family flee East End blaze after fire breaks out in child’s bedroom

PUBLISHED: 13:35 17 August 2009 | UPDATED: 14:43 05 October 2010

A FAMILY had to evacuate their home after fire broke out in the wardrobe of a child’s bedroom. The blaze in East London damaged the five-year-old’s bedroom in the second-floor flat in Whitechapel

By Mike Brooke

A FAMILY had to evacuate their home yesterday (Sunday) after fire broke out in the wardrobe of a child’s bedroom.

The blaze in East London damaged the five-year-old girl’s bedroom in the family’s second-floor flat at Umberstone Street in Whitechapel. The child’s mother was in the shower when the fire started.

The bedroom was gutted, but three emergency fire-crews from Whitechapel and Shadwell managed to control the flames and stop them spreading to the rest of the flat. The family got out in time.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the East London Advertiser