Search

Family left homeless in blaze horror

PUBLISHED: 09:47 13 February 2009 | UPDATED: 14:03 05 October 2010

A YOUNG family is in emergency accommodation this morning after losing their home in a blaze in London’s East End. The alarm was raised last night by neighbours when flames were spotted sweeping through the family’s second floor three-bedroom maisonette at Sleet House in Saxon Road, Bow, at 8.40pm

By Mike Brooke

A YOUNG family is in emergency accommodation this morning after losing their home in a blaze in London’s East End.

The alarm was raised last night by neighbours when flames were spotted sweeping through the family’s second floor three-bedroom maisonette at Sleet House in Saxon Road, Bow, at 8.40pm. The family of seven were out at the time.

“The flames were bursting out of the windows when he arrived,” said senior fire brigade watch manager Adian Fenton.

“They spread rapidly into the roof, but crews managed to prevent them spreading to neighbouring properties.”

He added: “The mother returned while we were dealing with the fire and was distraught at finding her home destroyed, no longer habitable with the roof and windows burned out.”

Neighbours had to be evacuated after the flames damaged the plastic water tank in the communal loft and sent water seeping into their own homes.

More than 20 firefighters were involved, some using breathing apparatus and a thermal image camera to search for anyone through the smoke. No-one was hurt.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser