Family left homeless in blaze horror

A YOUNG family is in emergency accommodation this morning after losing their home in a blaze in London’s East End. The alarm was raised last night by neighbours when flames were spotted sweeping through the family’s second floor three-bedroom maisonette at Sleet House in Saxon Road, Bow, at 8.40pm

By Mike Brooke

A YOUNG family is in emergency accommodation this morning after losing their home in a blaze in London’s East End.

The alarm was raised last night by neighbours when flames were spotted sweeping through the family’s second floor three-bedroom maisonette at Sleet House in Saxon Road, Bow, at 8.40pm. The family of seven were out at the time.

“The flames were bursting out of the windows when he arrived,” said senior fire brigade watch manager Adian Fenton.

“They spread rapidly into the roof, but crews managed to prevent them spreading to neighbouring properties.”


You may also want to watch:


He added: “The mother returned while we were dealing with the fire and was distraught at finding her home destroyed, no longer habitable with the roof and windows burned out.”

Neighbours had to be evacuated after the flames damaged the plastic water tank in the communal loft and sent water seeping into their own homes.

Most Read

More than 20 firefighters were involved, some using breathing apparatus and a thermal image camera to search for anyone through the smoke. No-one was hurt.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter