Fan stabbed as West Ham and Millwall supporters clash at Upton Park
A MAN was stabbed in the chest as hundreds of football fans rioted at Upton Park last night. Metropolitan Police said hundreds of fans were involved
By Victoria Huntley
A MAN was stabbed in the chest as hundreds of football fans rioted at Upton Park last night.
Metropolitan Police said hundreds of fans were involved in the disorder before the game at between West Ham and Millwall.
A 44-year-old man was stabbed near the stadium and was taken to hospital where he is in a stable condition. Two other fans were taken to hospital with non life-threatening injuries.
Supporters confronted each other in streets close to the stadium before the match and hurled bottles and bricks at each other, as well as police officers.
- 1 Bow flat fire caused by sunlight on glass bottle
- 2 Bow man accused of carrying out fatal hammer attack appears at Old Bailey
- 3 Crossrail: Canary Wharf station ready as Elizabeth Line nears opening
- 4 Japanese udon noodles chain to mark Canary Wharf opening with free bowls
- 5 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 6 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 7 Riverside park extension above new sewage structures given green light
- 8 New Kray twins book to explore lives of gangsters 'aside from the crimes'
- 9 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
- 10 Bow man appears in court charged with murder after body found in cemetery
Inside the stadium police and stewards failed to stop West Ham supporters invading the pitch, leading to play being suspended while fans were cleared.
Clashes between the fans and police continued after the match, which West Ham won 3-1 in extra time.
Both clubs and the FA have said the incident will be fully investigated, leading to a lifelong ban from attending matches for those involved in the violence.
At least 10 people were arrested last night and remain in police custody this morning.
Last night's violence came after clashes between up to 100 West Ham and Tottenham supporters outside Mile End Underground Station on Sunday afternoon.
Five men were arrested after Sunday's violence.
Were you at last night's match? Give us your account of the violence. Call the news desk on 020 7791 7799 or email email@example.com