Faulty heaters blamed for fires on vessel and in tower block
PUBLISHED: 22:54 11 November 2008 | UPDATED: 13:45 05 October 2010
FAULTY heaters were blamed for outbreaks of fire at the same time—one on board a vessel moored in a marina in London’s Docklands, the other in a tower block of flats two miles away
FAULTY heaters were blamed for outbreaks of fire at the same time—one on board a vessel moored in a marina in London’s Docklands, the other in a tower block of flats two miles away.
A barge which had just been refurbished was damaged when the chimney from its heater caught light and spread to the roof of the vessel at Poplar Marina close to Canary Wharf.
An emergency crew from nearby Poplar fire station managed to control the blaze in minutes, resulting in just 10 per cent damage to The Elizabeth. The alarm was raised by residents. No-one was injured.
Fire also badly damaged the caretaker’s store-room on the ground floor at Emerdale House, a high rise block in Hamlets Way, Mile End. Tenants raised the alarm when smoke began rising in the stairwell, but no-one was evacuated.
Both fires are thought to have been caused by faulty heaters.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.