Female cyclist fighting for her life after Wapping smash
A female cyclist is fighting for her life after colliding with a lorry on a busy Wapping junction this morning.
The crash occurred at around 9.30am where Dock Street meets the Highway.
The 27-year-old woman was rushed to the Royal London hospital in Whitechapel where her injuries are being treated as life-threatening.
She is said to have suffered serious injuries to her legs, arms and pelvis.
A passerby who was on the scene shortly afterwards, and is a regular cyclist himself, said the junction has been singled out as a potential accident spot by bike groups.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “This is very distressing. I was cycling in that same area last night and was nearly killed.”
Motorists were stopped from entering the area from the east for two hours after the crash and the west-bound side remains closed.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 'Utterly horrific': Tower Hamlets MPs react to Sir David Amess stabbing
- 7 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 8 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 9 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 10 £18,000 awarded to Bethnal Green church to bring loo up to scratch
The male driver stopped at the scene, the Metropolitan Police confirmed, and has been arrested.
The London Ambulance Service sent an ambulance as well as an emergency response car, emergency response motorcycle, the on-duty response vehicle and a member of the London Air Ambulance.
The collision is the second involving a cyclist in the area in the last fortnight.
Just last week a 58-year-old man was killed when his bike collided with tipper lorry on the junction of Bow Road and Payne Road.
Brian Dorling, from Hounslow, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The male lorry driver, who stopped at the scene, was arrested on suspicion of causing death by careless driving and was bailed pending further enquiries.