Fifth man charged with kidnap of East End restaurant worker
A FIFTH man has been arrested this-evening and charged in connection with missing restaurant worker Mahmood Ahmad who police believed has been kidnapped. The arrest comes after detectives released CCTV footage of Mahmood recorded at Whitechapel’s Lahore Kebab House in London’s East End just hours before he disappeared
A FIFTH man has been arrested this-evening and charged in connection with missing restaurant worker Mahmood Ahmad who police believed has been kidnapped.
The arrest comes after detectives released CCTV footage of Mahmood recorded at Whitechapel's Lahore Kebab House at Umberston Street in London's East End just hours before he disappeared.
Mahmood can be seen (circled) serving a customer at the table on March 6, the day before he vanished.
Detectives believe Mahmood was kidnapped outside his home in Watford, Herts, in the early hours of March 7.
You may also want to watch:
An incident room was set up by Beds & Herts Major Crime unit when his severed thumb was discovered in East London three days later at Ilford.
Det Ins Mick Trotman said: "It is more than three weeks into this investigation and Mahmood's family still have no news on him. They are desperate for answers.
- 1 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 2 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
- 3 MP's fury at four-year delay removing Grenfell-type cladding from block
- 4 Leyton Orient have announced their retained list as they begin rebuild
- 5 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 6 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 7 'Halt to development draining services' after win for neighbourhood plan
- 8 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 9 Leyton Orient have a big summer ahead of them insists director Ling
- 10 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
"We are hoping this CCTV will help jog people's memories."
The man arrested today has been named as Amirzada Hussain, 36, from Plaistow in East London, charged with conspiracy to falsely imprison.
The other four are Sharif Mohammed, 36, from Ilford, charged with false imprisonment, Mohammed Riaz, 33, no fixed address, charged with kidnap, false imprisonment, harassment and burglary, a 17-year-old charged with kidnap and 18-year-old Arnold Yousaf from Leyton charged with kidnap. These four have been remanded in custody until May 24.
Two others, a man and woman, have also been arrested and are on police bail.
Detectives are appealing for anyone with information who may recall seeing any suspicious activity either in Umberston Street in Whitechapel or in Watford on or about March 6 or 7, or since, to contact the incident room on 01707-355798, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800-555111.
Four people have so far been charged with offences relating to Mahmood's disappearance.