Finance Director 2014 awards open in shadow of East End’s Mind Candy
- Credit: Mind Candy
Business bosses have just a week to enter the 2014 Finance Directors awards and follow last year’s runaway success of Mind Candy entrepreneurs in London’s East End.
The 10th annual awards are looking for the person who has gone beyond their brief to contribute to other parts of the business or the local community.
The first-ever winner of the ‘Inspirational Financial Director of the Year’ category was Divinia Knowles in 2013, who runs Mind Candy in the rapidly-expanding Old Street Silicon Roundabout community.
Judges were impressed with her “passion and enthusiasm for her role, her commitment to the firm’s charity projects in Africa and the fast growth the company has achieved.”
She is the driving force behind the company which has developed from a small start-up to a multi-million pound tech-success with its Moshi Monsters, one of the world’s fastest-growing online games for kids with 80 million signed-up so far.
The company’s HQ in Bonhill Street, Shoreditch, is said to be “the coolest on the planet”, designed for creative inspiration. It is currently recruiting for creative techies to join its team.
“We’re working on several top-secret projects,” their spokesman revealed. “We’re always tinkering with new tools, so there are opportunities to get your tech teeth into something truly game changing.”
Nominations for the 2014 Finance Directors Awards close February 28, for categories including ‘Accountancy Firm’, ‘Business Bank’ or ‘Recruitment Agency of the Year’ as well as ‘Financial Software Supplier of the Year’.
- 1 Japanese udon noodles chain to mark Canary Wharf opening with free bowls
- 2 New Kray twins book to explore lives of gangsters 'aside from the crimes'
- 3 Bow man accused of carrying out fatal hammer attack appears at Old Bailey
- 4 Bow man appears in court charged with murder after body found in cemetery
- 5 Riverside park extension above new sewage structures given green light
- 6 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 7 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
- 8 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 9 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 10 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
A shortlist will be drawn up based on financial research by data specialists Jordans and independently judged by a ‘Dragon’s Den’ academy of experts. The winners are revealed at a glitzy ceremony on May 1 at the London Marriott Hotel.