Little Finlay in no rush to be first Mile End baby born on New Year’s Day
- Credit: St Thomas's NHS Trust
Little Finlay Ko made a grand entrance into the world on New Year’s Day being born opposite the Houses of Parliament.
The little mite came in weighing less than 7lb after his mum Yubing Zhu was rushed from her home in Mile End to St Thomas's Hospital on the South Bank.
"We were at a New Year's Eve party and I knew by 11pm that he was coming," Yubing recalled. "But I wanted to stay for the countdown.
"I was having contractions while Craig David was on TV, so I danced through them - it was nice to be distracted."
The 31-year-old went through a smooth birth using techniques she and partner Kenneth had learnt through hypnobirthing at home in Mile End. They got to the hospital by Westminster Bridge at 8.30am.
You may also want to watch:
"I went straight to the birthing pool," she added. "I had paracetamol and gas and air—and two hours later Finlay arrived."
Proud dad Kenneth, 32, signed with relief that the baby didn't make a dash for it on New Year's Eve. He said: "All the roads were blocked and there was a lot of traffic the night before because of the fireworks, so I was glad he waited till New Year's Day. It's been an amazing start to the year."
- 1 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 3 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 4 Street food and farmers' market return to City Island
- 5 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 6 Hundreds of boilers break down in the East End during pandemic
- 7 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 8 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 9 Fast broadband deal is signed for thousands of East End homes
- 10 England captain Harry Kane renews his shirt sponsorship with Leyton Orient
Finlay is the couple's first baby, arriving at 10.42am and weighing 6lb 6oz.
It was a busy day at the hospital with 17 babies, eight boys and nine girls arriving between 1.54am and 11.42pm. New Year's Eve was even busier for midwives with 20 babies on the last day of the old year.