Fire at Blackwall Tunnel causes hold-ups in Tower Hamlets
- Credit: Archant
A fire in a motorcycle repair shop near the Blackwall Tunnel has caused traffic delays along Commercial Road and the A13.
Six fire engines and 35 firefighters from Poplar and elsewhere are tackling the blaze at the shop in Peterboat Close in Greenwich.
The London Fire Brigade has set up a 200m hazard zone over the risk of gas cylinders at the shop exploding, and advise people to avoid the tunnel and nearby roads.
The fire was reported to the LFB at 6am this morning, and has caused heavy traffic near the tunnel and shut the A102 going northbound at Shooters Hill Road.
Transport for London said the A102 is open going southbound.
You may also want to watch:
Station Manager Tim Frost said: “The whole of the repair workshop is alight. We believe that there are a number of gas cylinders inside the premises.
“Fire crews will be working to cool the down the cylinders, as some of them can explode when exposed to heat.”
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 7 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 8 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Rotherhithe tunnel to close all next week for urgent repairs
He added: “I’d advise people to avoid the Blackwall Tunnel and surrounding roads as there is heavy traffic congestion.”