Fire at Blackwall Tunnel causes hold-ups in Tower Hamlets
- Credit: Archant
A fire in a motorcycle repair shop near the Blackwall Tunnel has caused traffic delays along Commercial Road and the A13.
Six fire engines and 35 firefighters from Poplar and elsewhere are tackling the blaze at the shop in Peterboat Close in Greenwich.
The London Fire Brigade has set up a 200m hazard zone over the risk of gas cylinders at the shop exploding, and advise people to avoid the tunnel and nearby roads.
The fire was reported to the LFB at 6am this morning, and has caused heavy traffic near the tunnel and shut the A102 going northbound at Shooters Hill Road.
Transport for London said the A102 is open going southbound.
You may also want to watch:
Station Manager Tim Frost said: “The whole of the repair workshop is alight. We believe that there are a number of gas cylinders inside the premises.
“Fire crews will be working to cool the down the cylinders, as some of them can explode when exposed to heat.”
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 3 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 4 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 5 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 6 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 7 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 8 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 9 Police called as furious families told to quit Bow's 'dangerous' block
- 10 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
He added: “I’d advise people to avoid the Blackwall Tunnel and surrounding roads as there is heavy traffic congestion.”