Firefighters tackle early morning blaze at Bethnal Green flats
- Credit: Archant
Twenty people escaped unharmed after a fire at an apartment building in Bethnal Green this morning (May 18).
London Fire Brigade was called to a former warehouse converted into flats on Hollybush Gardens at 5am.
Part of a studio flat on the first floor of the four-storey building was damaged by the fire, which investigators believe was caused by an unattended candle.
Crews from Bethnal Green, Whitechapel, Shoreditch and Shadwell stations responded and the 25 firefighters on scene had it under control by shortly after 6am.
A London Fire Brigade spokesman said: “Candles are one of the most common causes of fire in the home.
You may also want to watch:
“We recommend you swap your candles for flameless, LED candles.
“They are safer as you can leave them unattended and you don’t have to worry about them being knocked over or falling asleep while they are on.
- 1 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 2 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 3 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 6 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 7 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 8 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 9 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
“If you do continue to use traditional candles, make sure you use them safely.”