Bow flat fire caused by sunlight on glass bottle
- Credit: Valerie Molloy
A fire at a block of flats in Bow is believed to have been caused by sunlight refracted off a glass bottle.
Four fire engines and 25 crew members were called to the building in Mornington Grove, near Bow Road Underground station, at 4.10pm yesterday (Wednesday, January 26).
Nine people left the building before crews arrived and there were no reported injuries.
Firefighters used a turntable ladder as an observation platform and checked for fire spread with a thermal imaging camera.
The fire is believed to have been accidental and caused by sunlight refracted through a glass bottle, which ignited cardboard packaging on the kitchen worktop.
Part of a three-roomed flat on the third floor was damaged by the fire, which was under control by 5.13pm.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Fires caused by refracted and reflected sunlight can happen all year round and are actually quite common.
- 1 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 2 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 3 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 4 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 5 Update: Woman, 56, missing in Tower Hamlets found
- 6 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 7 Cyclist in 'critical but stable' condition after Whitechapel lorry crash
- 8 Mile End: Car crashes into bus stop during police pursuit
- 9 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 10 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
"Our advice is to make sure that you keep mirrors, crystals, glass ornaments and other reflective items out of direct sunlight at all times.”