Rooftop fire at Spitalfields office block
- Credit: Archant
A Spitalfields office block was evacuated after a cooling tower on the roof of the building caught alight.
Around 65 people left the building in Bishopsgate shortly after 9am today (June 11) before London Fire Brigade crews arrived.
Four fire engines and 25 crew members were at the scene, with the brigade receiving 15 calls to the fire.
Half of the cooling tower, which is under refurbishment, was damaged.
The fire was under control by 10.19am and no injuries were reported.
You may also want to watch:
Station commander Emma Carr, who was at the scene, said: “The alarm was raised by two police officers who saw smoke coming from the roof of the building and called the brigade.
“Road closures were put in place whilst crews worked to bring the fire under control.”
- 1 Shamima Begum will find out this week if she can return from Syria
- 2 Jailed: East End county lines dealers who peddled heroin and crack cocaine
- 3 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 4 Shamima Begum cannot return to UK, Supreme Court rules
- 5 Tideway super sewer arrives at Tower Bridge ready to bore east London
- 6 Flower markets appeal to be allowed to open in time for Mother's Day
- 7 Cigarette sparks fire in Poplar block of flats
- 8 Thugs attack each other with bottles of wine in supermarket mass brawl
- 9 Fear of mental health crisis as loneliness rises among disabled
- 10 Police raid cannabis cafe in 200-year-old Whitechapel building
The cause of the fire is being investigated.