Rooftop fire at Spitalfields office block
- Credit: Archant
A Spitalfields office block was evacuated after a cooling tower on the roof of the building caught alight.
Around 65 people left the building in Bishopsgate shortly after 9am today (June 11) before London Fire Brigade crews arrived.
Four fire engines and 25 crew members were at the scene, with the brigade receiving 15 calls to the fire.
Half of the cooling tower, which is under refurbishment, was damaged.
The fire was under control by 10.19am and no injuries were reported.
You may also want to watch:
Station commander Emma Carr, who was at the scene, said: “The alarm was raised by two police officers who saw smoke coming from the roof of the building and called the brigade.
“Road closures were put in place whilst crews worked to bring the fire under control.”
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 4 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 10 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
The cause of the fire is being investigated.