Fire crews fight blaze at pub in Hackney Wick
- Credit: London Fire Brigade
A barbecue is believed to have caused a fire at a pub in Hackney Wick overnight because it was placed too close to a wooden door.
Six fire engines and 40 crew members were called to the pub with offices above in White Post Lane at 12.09am today (Wednesday, April 14).
Half of an external storage area on the ground floor of the building and part of the first-floor offices and roof were damaged by the blaze. There were no reported injuries.
London Fire Brigade (LFB) 999 officers took 15 calls to the fire, which was under control shortly before 2am.
Sub Officer Cassius Frankson, who was at the scene, said: “Crews worked incredibly hard to quickly bring the fire under control.
You may also want to watch:
“This incident shows just how important it is to place barbecues safely away from anything that could catch fire.
“It’s vital that you place them on level ground, far away from things like sheds, fences or trees and out of the reach of children and pets."
- 1 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
- 2 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 3 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 4 Leyton Orient have announced their retained list as they begin rebuild
- 5 'Halt to development draining services' after win for neighbourhood plan
- 6 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Isle of Dogs The Space theatre to open up after lockdown
- 9 MP's fury at four-year delay removing Grenfell-type cladding from block
- 10 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election