Fire breaks out in Shadwell block
A MAN had to be rescued from a block of flats after fire broke out this morning.
Firefighters were called to the block in Cable Street, Shadwell just before midday to the blaze on the seventh floor.
The man was led to safety by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and around half of his flat was damaged.
Kate Anthony, who lives in a block opposite, saw the scenes unfold.
She said: “There was a large orange ball of fire coming out of the balcony and into the floor above.
You may also want to watch:
“It wasn’t very nice to see. It’s the reality of living in London on top of other people that if fire breaks out it’s not just one place affected.”
Crews got the fire under control by 12.12am.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 Building new tower block starts on Limehouse Triangle 'wildlife site'
- 5 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 6 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 7 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 8 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 9 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 10 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
Four fire engines and around 20 firefighters from Whitechapel, Shadwell, Shoreditch and Soho fire stations were at the scene.
London Ambulance Service sent one crew.
A spokesperson said: “We treated one patient and took them to the Royal London Hospital with smoke inhalation.”
The cause of the fire is under investigation.