Fire breaks out in Shadwell block
A MAN had to be rescued from a block of flats after fire broke out this morning.
Firefighters were called to the block in Cable Street, Shadwell just before midday to the blaze on the seventh floor.
The man was led to safety by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and around half of his flat was damaged.
Kate Anthony, who lives in a block opposite, saw the scenes unfold.
She said: “There was a large orange ball of fire coming out of the balcony and into the floor above.
You may also want to watch:
“It wasn’t very nice to see. It’s the reality of living in London on top of other people that if fire breaks out it’s not just one place affected.”
Crews got the fire under control by 12.12am.
- 1 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 2 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 3 Docklands man pleaded guilty to firearms offences
- 4 Crossharbour scheme for 2,000 new homes on Isle of Dogs is halted
- 5 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 6 Working classes 'being pushed out by East End's gentrification'
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Driver threatened at gunpoint in Bromley-by-Bow carjacking
- 9 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 10 Police search park in Poplar after report of stabbing
Four fire engines and around 20 firefighters from Whitechapel, Shadwell, Shoreditch and Soho fire stations were at the scene.
London Ambulance Service sent one crew.
A spokesperson said: “We treated one patient and took them to the Royal London Hospital with smoke inhalation.”
The cause of the fire is under investigation.