Fire Brigade offers tips on how to keep safe on Bonfire Night
PUBLISHED: 16:38 05 November 2010
With Bonfire Night and Diwali celebrations across Tower Hamlets tonight (November 5), the London Fire Brigade has issued advice on how to stay safe throughout the festivities.
With a union strike called off just last night, firefighters will respond to hundreds of incidents across this weekend, from out of control bonfires to fires caused by fireworks and will receive twice the number of calls compared to an average day.
The LFB advises people to visit organised fireworks displays.
They also offer some specific tips:
- Build your bonfire clear of buildings, sheds, fences and hedges.
- Never use flammable liquids to start a bonfire.
- Don’t leave bonfires unattended.
- Keep fireworks in a closed box
- Never go back to fireworks once they are lit
- If celebrating Diwali, make sure all candles are in candle holders and never leave them unattended.
- Always keep a bucket of water or a hosepipe nearby in case of an emergency,
For more fire safety advice, visit london-fire.gov.uk.