Fire destroys two storeys of balconies in Whitechapel blaze
- Credit: Archant
Balconies on two floors of flats were destroyed in a fire in Whitechapel yesterday.
Fire engines were called to a block in Underwood Road just after 10am on Thursday.
Balconies on the second and third floors were destroyed and half of a second floor flat was also damaged.
The fire service received 15 calls about the blaze, and by the time the brigade arrived, around 30 people had already left the building. No one was hurt.
Crews from Whitechapel, Bethnal Green, Shadwell and Dowgate had the fire under control by 11.08am.
You may also want to watch:
The cause of the fire is unknown and currently being investigated.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 3 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower