Fire rescuers warn against leaving candles unattended after fire on Isle of Dogs
Fire rescuers have warned against leaving candles unattended and urged people to install fire alarms after four men and a woman escaped a house fire on the Isle of Dogs.
The London Fire Brigade was called to the blaze on Capstan Square in Cubitt Town just before 9pm last Friday. It is believed the fire was caused by a candle left unattended.
Two fire engines with around ten firefighters from Poplar and Millwall fire stations tackled the fire, which was under control within half an hour.
A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade’s said:
“We have had a number of fires lately that have been caused by candles or tea lights. It is very important people keep an eye on them at all times. Leaving candles unattended can be extremely dangerous especially when they are left close to flammable items. Make sure candles and tea lights are kept away from curtains, towels, bedding and anything else that can catch fire easily.
You may also want to watch:
“We also think that the house didn’t have any smoke alarms. Luckily everyone escaped in time, but sadly this it not always the case. Having a working smoke alarm in your home is essential as it gives you vital early warning in case of a fire and can save your live.”
Part of the ground floor was damaged by the candle blaze.
- 1 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 2 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 3 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 4 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 5 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
- 6 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 7 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 8 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 9 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 10 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney