Search

Fire rescuers warn against leaving candles unattended after fire on Isle of Dogs

PUBLISHED: 12:26 13 February 2012

The fire took hold on the first floor of the restaurant

The fire took hold on the first floor of the restaurant

Archant

Fire rescuers have warned against leaving candles unattended and urged people to install fire alarms after four men and a woman escaped a house fire on the Isle of Dogs.

The London Fire Brigade was called to the blaze on Capstan Square in Cubitt Town just before 9pm last Friday. It is believed the fire was caused by a candle left unattended.

Two fire engines with around ten firefighters from Poplar and Millwall fire stations tackled the fire, which was under control within half an hour.

A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade’s said:

“We have had a number of fires lately that have been caused by candles or tea lights. It is very important people keep an eye on them at all times. Leaving candles unattended can be extremely dangerous especially when they are left close to flammable items. Make sure candles and tea lights are kept away from curtains, towels, bedding and anything else that can catch fire easily.

“We also think that the house didn’t have any smoke alarms. Luckily everyone escaped in time, but sadly this it not always the case. Having a working smoke alarm in your home is essential as it gives you vital early warning in case of a fire and can save your live.”

Part of the ground floor was damaged by the candle blaze.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser