Fireman saves heart attack busker who collapses in the snow
FIREFIGHTERS saved the life of a busker in East London who collapsed in the snow opposite their fire station. They just happened to be looking out of the window when they spotted him on the pavement at the bus-stop opposite Poplar fire station and used a portable heart-machine to revive him
By Mike Brooke
FIREFIGHTERS saved the life of a busker in East London who collapsed in the snow opposite their fire station.
They just happened to be looking out of the window when they spotted him on the pavement.
The middle-age busker was carrying a guitar when he collapsed at 1am on Monday at the bus-stop opposite Poplar fire station in East India Dock Road.
Fire crew manager Mick McCarthy, 43, rushed over with a portable heart resuscitator from a fire-tender.
You may also want to watch:
"I took our defibrillator over and got him into a recovery position to revive him," he told the East London Advertiser.
"We just happen to see him by chance while looking out the window and found him unconscious at the bus-stop.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 5 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
"If he had collapsed somewhere else and not opposite the fire station, we might not have got to him in time."
Mick and a woman officer from a passing police patrol which stopped at the scene tested the man's pulse and found he had stopped breathing before giving him two electro-shocks with the defibrillator. Ambulance paramedics arriving minutes later gave him two more electro-shocks and he started breathing again.
The man was taken to the London Chest Hospital at Bethnal Green and was still in intensive therapy this week.