First Christmas appeal under way by Neighbours in Poplar’s Sister Christine
- Credit: Archant
The first request for a Christmas meal has been received at the start of this year’s Neighbours in Poplar appeal organised in London’s deprived East End by Sister Christine Frost.
A community mental health nurse made the request on behalf of one of the elderly people she visits on her round in Millwall who is spending Christmas alone.
Sister Christine, who started her Neighbours in Poplar charity 45 years ago, aims to deliver meals to vulnerable people living alone over the festive period.
Volunteers organise collections from companies in nearby Canary Wharf and distribute food and gifts to pensioners and others living alone.
They also run community dinners at the St Mathias centre in Poplar High Street.
You may also want to watch:
The project last year held six community parties for the elderly and provided 45 grocery parcels for pensioners, 30 grocery parcels for families, 70 turkeys for families in need, 70 toys for children, 391 hot festive meals cooked and delivered between Christmas Day and New Year’s day, as well as opening a resting place along with a hot meal for nearly 20 homeless people on New Year’s Day.
Sister Christine, a member of the Faithful Companions of Jesus, is appealing this year for good neighbours to keep an eye on any vulnerable person who may be spending Christmas Day and Boxing Day alone without a hot, seasonal meal.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning