Five candidates fighting the Spitalfields by-election next Thursday
Five candidates will be fighting it out in the Spitalfields by-election next Thursday.
Shelina Akhtar switched soon after the 2010 election and became an Independent supporter of Tower Hamlets Mayor Lutfur Rahman.
The group’s new candidate is former council deputy-leader Ala Uddin, from Florida Street in Bethnal Green, who is aiming to return to the Town Hall after a decade.
Ala, a lecturer, was previously a councillor for eight years, including in Spitalfields, and has been a housing association board member and a non-executive director of Tower Hamlets Primary Care Trust.
He is up against Mr Rahman’s sponsored candidate Robbani Gulam, from Cottage Street in Poplar, who is a former paid Lutfur aide who gave up his job last month as social services advisor when to run in the by-election.
You may also want to watch:
Former Spitalfields and Banglatown Cllr Shelina Akhtar was expelled from the council last month after she was jailed in January for council tax benefit fraud.
Three others are in the ring—the Lib Dem’s Richard Macmillan from Denmark Pace in Bethnal Green, the Conservatives’ Matthew Smith from Wentworth Street in Spitalfields and the Greens’ Kirsty Blake from Turner Street in Whitechapel.
- 1 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 2 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 3 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 4 Drivers fight Tower Hamlets for years over 'clamping on private land'
- 5 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 6 Waste bin by the Thames used as 'lifebuoy' to save marine life
- 7 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 8 'Earn while you learn' new degree course for students from any background
- 9 Golfer to visit Canary Wharf on 'world's longest golf hole challenge'
- 10 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant