Five hurt in car crash with tanker lorry on A13 at Poplar
Five people including two teenage girls were rescued by emergency fire and ambulance crews when they were trapped in a car smash in east London today on the main A13 main road at Poplar.
The 22-year-old driver and three passengers had to be cut free from the smashed Audi which was in collision with a tanker lorry in East India Dock Road, near the Canning Town flyover, at 3.45am. A fourth passenger, a woman, was helped out of the vehicle by rescuers.
A fleet of five ambulances, three response cars and two fire-crews were called to the accident. Paramedics treated all five at the scene of scene.
One man aged 22 with serious head injuries was rushed to Kings College Hospital.
The others were taken by ambulance to the Royal London at Whitechapel, all treated as priority.
You may also want to watch:
One of the teenagers, aged 18, had multiple injuries. The other, also 18, had face injuries. The fourth passenger, a woman, suffered multiple injuries.
The eastbound carriageway was cordoned off following the crash at the traffic light junction with Abbots Road. The rescue operation took 90 minutes before eastbound traffic resumed. Police are looking into the cause of the crash.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 5 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims