Five in court after �20m police drugs operation
FIVE men arrested in connection with one of London’s biggest-ever drugs haul worth an estimated �20 million minimum were due in court this-morning. They were arrested during a police operation in East London when drugs weighing more than five and a half-tonnes were said to have been seized at a warehouse in Romford on Tuesday night
FIVE men arrested in connection with one of London’s biggest-ever drugs haul worth an estimated �20 million minimum were due in court today.
They were arrested during a police operation in East London when drugs weighing more than five-and-a-half tonnes were said to have been seized at a warehouse on Tuesday night.
The five held at Charing Cross police station, including a 69-year-old from the East End, were charged this morning with importing class B drugs, contrary to the 1979 Customs & Excise Management Act, and were due before City of Westminster magistrates.
They include 69-year-old John Rowe, from Mansford Street in Bethnal Green, 49-year-old Russell O’Cuneff from Glengarnock Avenue in Cubitt Town, Isle of Dogs, and 67-year-old Wattie Souter from Raymouth Road in Rotherhithe.
You may also want to watch:
Charged with them are two men from south London, Patrick Maloney, 54, from Walworth near Elephant & Castle, and Derek Mercer, 70, from South Norwood.
It follows Tuesday’s police operation at the Askew Warehousing industrial unit in Grays, near Tilbury.
- 1 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 2 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 3 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 4 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 5 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 6 Orient boss McAnuff determined to not help Salford City into the play-offs
- 7 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 8 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 9 East London venue to host big-screen Euro 2020 football fanzone
- 10 Air ambulance charity reveals number of east London call-outs in 2020