Flapper girls and gangsters launch Bugsy Malone cinema experience at the Troxy
One of the East End’s best-loved Art Deco buildings looked like it had been blasted back to its interwar heyday when a glamorous film event was launched there on Friday.
Ladies donned flapper dresses and feathery headwear and guys looked dapper in suits and fedoras at the Troxy in Commercial Road for the start of its three-week long Bugsy Malone-themed cinema experience.
“Gangster” doormen even roamed the area around the venue, which fittingly dates back to 1933, to usher in guests.
Far more than the average film night, each evening show girls, mock boxers and gangsters will entertain dolled-up crowds before the screening.
In true Bugsy-style a custard pie fight finishes off each night’s proceedings.
You may also want to watch:
Future Cinema is showing the much-loved Prohibition musical until April 15.
- 1 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 2 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 3 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 4 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 5 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 6 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 7 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 8 Leyton Orient seal first away win of the season at Bristol Rovers
- 9 Travel round-up: Road and rail disruptions this week
- 10 Joe Gallen full of praise for O's forwards in Bristol Rovers victory