Flipping mad pancake flippers flock to Brick Lane
FLIPPERS flocked from far and wide to take part in the famous Great Spitalfields Pancake Race today (Tuesday). Contestants were undeterred by the heavy rain and managed to race while tossing their soggy pancakes even as their frying pans filled with rainw
FLIPPERS flocked from far and wide to take part in the famous Great Spitalfields Pancake Race today (Tuesday).
Contestants were undeterred by the heavy rain and managed to race while tossing their soggy pancakes even as their frying pans filled with rainwater at the annual event to mark Shrove Tuesday in Dray Walk, off Brick Lane.
Some participants donned full wet weather gear and one flipper protected himself from the elements by wearing a bin bag.
Teams of four raced up and down Dray Walk in a relay to raise funds for the London Air Ambulance and contestants had to flip their pancakes at least twice while running the course.
You may also want to watch:
Hot pancakes were provided by Csaba's Hungarian Creperie and the Lost Marbles String Band and clowns provided by the E Team all added to the atmosphere of the entertaining, eccentric occasion.
- 1 Leyton Orient confident next manager will take them to the next level
- 2 Leyton Orient reportedly down to final three candidates
- 3 Man, 20, found fighting for life at illegal rave in Bow
- 4 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 5 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 6 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 7 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 8 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 9 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 10 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs