Footballers battle it out to get East End smokers to quit
FOOTBALL players battled it out in the East End last night to show their support to giving smoking the boot. Two rival women s football teams from the area went head-to-head in a penalty shootout at Mile End Stadium as part of the Smokefree United Chal
FOOTBALL players battled it out in the East End last night to show their support to giving smoking the boot.
Two rival women's football teams from the area went head-to-head in a penalty shootout at Mile End Stadium as part of the Smokefree United Challenge.
Tower Hamlets WFC and East London Ladies each had three minutes to score as many penalties as possible and Tower Hamlets WFC managed to score in extra time to become the East End champions.
Smokefree United was launched in October by the NHS to provide support and advice to football players and fans who struggle to keep up during the 90-minute match because they smoke.
You may also want to watch:
There are virtual clubs of quitters across the country and as smokers sign up to help them kick the habit, it will boost their team's position in the Smokefree United League.
- 1 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 2 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 3 Docklands man pleaded guilty to firearms offences
- 4 Crossharbour scheme for 2,000 new homes on Isle of Dogs is halted
- 5 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 6 Working classes 'being pushed out by East End's gentrification'
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Driver threatened at gunpoint in Bromley-by-Bow carjacking
- 9 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 10 Police search park in Poplar after report of stabbing