Search

Four flee as candles spark blaze drama

PUBLISHED: 14:13 20 April 2009 | UPDATED: 14:17 05 October 2010

FOUR people fled to safety when they woke in the middle of the night to find their home in East London on fire—caused by novelty candles. They were woken at 3.30am today when the blaze broke out at their maisonette above a shop

FOUR people fled to safety when they woke in the middle of the night to find their home in East London on fire-caused by candles.

The man and three women were woken at 3.30am today when the blaze broke out at their maisonette above a shop in Cheshire Street, Bethnal Green.

Novelty candles used as 'floating lights' were left in their small metal containers directly on a tablecloth instead of in a bowl of water.

The containers overheated and ignited the cloth in one of the women's bedroom-but she woke up in time and alerted her flatmates. All four got to safety before the fire-brigade arrived and were unharmed.

The woman's bedroom was totally gutted and there was some smoke damage in other rooms in the three-storey maisonette.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the East London Advertiser