Four flee as candles spark blaze drama
FOUR people fled to safety when they woke in the middle of the night to find their home in East London on fire—caused by novelty candles. They were woken at 3.30am today when the blaze broke out at their maisonette above a shop
FOUR people fled to safety when they woke in the middle of the night to find their home in East London on fire-caused by candles.
The man and three women were woken at 3.30am today when the blaze broke out at their maisonette above a shop in Cheshire Street, Bethnal Green.
Novelty candles used as 'floating lights' were left in their small metal containers directly on a tablecloth instead of in a bowl of water.
The containers overheated and ignited the cloth in one of the women's bedroom-but she woke up in time and alerted her flatmates. All four got to safety before the fire-brigade arrived and were unharmed.
You may also want to watch:
The woman's bedroom was totally gutted and there was some smoke damage in other rooms in the three-storey maisonette.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family