Four flee as candles spark blaze drama
FOUR people fled to safety when they woke in the middle of the night to find their home in East London on fire—caused by novelty candles. They were woken at 3.30am today when the blaze broke out at their maisonette above a shop
FOUR people fled to safety when they woke in the middle of the night to find their home in East London on fire-caused by candles.
The man and three women were woken at 3.30am today when the blaze broke out at their maisonette above a shop in Cheshire Street, Bethnal Green.
Novelty candles used as 'floating lights' were left in their small metal containers directly on a tablecloth instead of in a bowl of water.
The containers overheated and ignited the cloth in one of the women's bedroom-but she woke up in time and alerted her flatmates. All four got to safety before the fire-brigade arrived and were unharmed.
You may also want to watch:
The woman's bedroom was totally gutted and there was some smoke damage in other rooms in the three-storey maisonette.
- 1 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 2 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 3 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 4 Drivers fight Tower Hamlets for years over 'clamping on private land'
- 5 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 6 Waste bin by the Thames used as 'lifebuoy' to save marine life
- 7 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 8 'Earn while you learn' new degree course for students from any background
- 9 Golfer to visit Canary Wharf on 'world's longest golf hole challenge'
- 10 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant