Freddy Moncur thankful to Leyton Orient boss Danny Webb after finally getting chance
- Credit: Archant
Youngster made his first O’s appearance in September 2015, but had to wait a long time to be handed his full debut
Freddy Moncur expressed his gratitude to Leyton Orient manager Danny Webb for finally giving him a chance to show his worth at Brisbane Road after Saturday’s 3-0 defeat to Grimsby Town.
The 20-year-old has started the last two games for the O’s and showcased his ability against both Newport County and the Mariners.
Moncur had spent most of the campaign on loan at Wingate & Finchley and Bishop’s Stortford, but is now getting a shot at Orient.
He said: “I’ve waited a long time, but I’m so thankful to the gaffer for showing some faith in me and every time I play I just want to pay him back.
You may also want to watch:
“My family have constantly said just keep working hard because there have been some tough times for me personally this season.
“But they have always urged me to keep working because things change in football and I am so thankful the gaffer has shown some faith in me.”
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 8 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
It has been a long road for Moncur after being handed his O’s debut by Ian Hendon all the way back in September 2015.
The young midfielder was regularly included in first-team squads during the first half of the 2015/16 campaign.
But after Hendon’s dismissal, a string of managers decided against giving Moncur an opportunity for Orient.
A prime chance to give the youngster a break occurred in October last year when the O’s were without several midfielders.
Robbie Weir was suspended while Liam Kelly and Nigel Atangana were injured, but Alberto Cavasin gave Jens Janse a chance in the middle.
Zan Benedicic and Alan Dunne were also briefly played in midfield during the month and so Moncur had to bide his time.
Finally now he is getting his opportunity, but unfortunately it occurs at a time when Orient are in the relegation zone.
Moncur made his first start at Brisbane Road on Saturday and was excellent at times, especially in the first half, but couldn’t stop O’s losing.
The end result was cruel on Webb’s team who had produced some eye-catching football, but just lacked a cutting edge in the final third.
“I think 3-0 was harsh. There was a spell in the first half where we were really on top,” said Moncur.
“We were thinking we would certainly get one goal before half time, but unfortunately it didn’t happen.”
Orient, despite the defeat, were applauded off by the fans with Moncur receiving the man of the match award from the supporters club.
The O’s faithful were excellent throughout Saturday’s game and a decent number are expected to make the trip to Accrington Stanley tomorrow.
Moncur added: “The result really hurts all the players, but to see the reaction from the fans gives us a big lift ahead of Tuesday. We feel like we have to do it for them.
“They have been different class. They took just under 400 to Newport and on Saturday the reaction they showed after a 3-0 defeat was incredible.”
Webb will most likely give Moncur another chance tomorrow and you can guarantee the midfielder won’t let the O’s manager down.