Friends bike from Bow to Paris for charity
Josh Abbott and three friends left the East End on May 12 on a bike ride to Paris. The pals took three days to reach the French capital, covering 200 miles of countryside on both sides of the Channel, with a half-way stop in Calais.
Josh Abbott and three friends left the East End on May 12 on a bike ride to Paris.
The pals took three days to reach the French capital, covering 200 miles of countryside on both sides of the Channel, with a half-way stop in Calais.
They suffered two tire punctures on their first day before boarding the ferry, hoping for a smoother journey on the waves.
The group is expected to raise �3,000 for different charities.
You may also want to watch:
Josh, 21, is riding to benefit the Jamie Abbott Neuroblastoma Fund. His cousin, Jamie, died over 20 years ago of cancer of the brain at age five.
Since then, his family's business, Abbotts Flooring, set up the fund in his memory and continues to sponsor charity events like an annual golf day.
- 1 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 2 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 3 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 4 Street food and farmers' market return to City Island
- 5 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 6 Hundreds of boilers break down in the East End during pandemic
- 7 Fast broadband deal is signed for thousands of East End homes
- 8 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 9 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 10 England captain Harry Kane renews his shirt sponsorship with Leyton Orient
For the first-ever ride, the store made up jerseys.
Abbotts Flooring is a family-run business established in 1882. It's now run by two brothers, two sisters and a nephew - all fourth generation Abbotts.
The new showroom, opened in 1978, is on the original spot of the business. The store continues to specialize in flooring and carpets, but has now expanded into blinds and curtains as well as its charity work.