Friends bike from Bow to Paris for charity
Josh Abbott and three friends left the East End on May 12 on a bike ride to Paris. The pals took three days to reach the French capital, covering 200 miles of countryside on both sides of the Channel, with a half-way stop in Calais.
Josh Abbott and three friends left the East End on May 12 on a bike ride to Paris.
The pals took three days to reach the French capital, covering 200 miles of countryside on both sides of the Channel, with a half-way stop in Calais.
They suffered two tire punctures on their first day before boarding the ferry, hoping for a smoother journey on the waves.
The group is expected to raise �3,000 for different charities.
You may also want to watch:
Josh, 21, is riding to benefit the Jamie Abbott Neuroblastoma Fund. His cousin, Jamie, died over 20 years ago of cancer of the brain at age five.
Since then, his family's business, Abbotts Flooring, set up the fund in his memory and continues to sponsor charity events like an annual golf day.
- 1 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 2 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
- 3 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 4 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 5 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 6 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 7 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 8 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 9 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 10 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
For the first-ever ride, the store made up jerseys.
Abbotts Flooring is a family-run business established in 1882. It's now run by two brothers, two sisters and a nephew - all fourth generation Abbotts.
The new showroom, opened in 1978, is on the original spot of the business. The store continues to specialize in flooring and carpets, but has now expanded into blinds and curtains as well as its charity work.