Friends bike from Bow to Paris for charity
Josh Abbott and three friends left the East End on May 12 on a bike ride to Paris. The pals took three days to reach the French capital, covering 200 miles of countryside on both sides of the Channel, with a half-way stop in Calais.
Josh Abbott and three friends left the East End on May 12 on a bike ride to Paris.
The pals took three days to reach the French capital, covering 200 miles of countryside on both sides of the Channel, with a half-way stop in Calais.
They suffered two tire punctures on their first day before boarding the ferry, hoping for a smoother journey on the waves.
The group is expected to raise �3,000 for different charities.
Josh, 21, is riding to benefit the Jamie Abbott Neuroblastoma Fund. His cousin, Jamie, died over 20 years ago of cancer of the brain at age five.
Since then, his family's business, Abbotts Flooring, set up the fund in his memory and continues to sponsor charity events like an annual golf day.
- 1 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 2 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 3 V&A launches festival to celebrate 150 years in Bethnal Green
- 4 Council rapped by ombudsman after not following safeguarding procedures
- 5 Series of failures sees Met Police placed under special measures
- 6 Firefighter retires after cancer diagnosis
- 7 Old Bailey courts closed as barrister strike action gets under way
- 8 Footballer convicted of hate crime after homophobic abuse of opponent
- 9 Man accused of Yasmin Begum killing denies murder and burglary
- 10 Bow Lock murder: Victim's two girlfriends give evidence at Old Bailey
For the first-ever ride, the store made up jerseys.
Abbotts Flooring is a family-run business established in 1882. It's now run by two brothers, two sisters and a nephew - all fourth generation Abbotts.
The new showroom, opened in 1978, is on the original spot of the business. The store continues to specialize in flooring and carpets, but has now expanded into blinds and curtains as well as its charity work.