Futureversity aiming to tackle youth unemployment crisis
Youngsters who are out of work are being urged to sign up to a scheme aiming to tackle unemployment in Tower Hamlets.
The Job Ready Programme aims to improve the career prospects of 16-25-year-olds who are not in education, employment or training.
A product of a partnership between youth charity Futureversity and the Network Housing Group, the scheme offers a range of employment advice and information.
Sheriesa Naicker, 22, is among those who have already benefitted from the programme. She said: “There was a lot of one-to-one mentoring, they really got to know us, and the whole process kicked-started my career.
“The quality of my job applications improved significantly after the course. I started getting interviews, which had never happened before.”
You may also want to watch:
The scheme is delivered in the form of an 11 week course, with participants also given a two week work experience placement with Network Housing Group.
The programme’s manager, Lola Ahonkhai, is now encouraging more people to sign up in Tower Hamlets to tackle the growing problem of youth unemployment.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 4 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 5 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 6 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 7 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 10 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
“Job Ready is designed to re-energise young people who have found themselves not in employment, education or training as well as open them up to career options they had perhaps not previously considered”, she said. “Signing up to this programme will kick-start your journey into employment.”
The next course runs from October 2 to December 13. For more information, visit http://www.futureversity.org/content/1556/Job-Ready.