Gang breaks cyclist's jaw as they rob him of bike in Mile End
ROBBERS broke a cyclist s jaw when they stole his bike and mobile phone in a canal-side attack. The 44-year-old man was cycling along the towpath through Mile End Park towards Mile End Road around 6.30pm on Friday last week when his path was blocked by a
ROBBERS broke a cyclist's jaw when they stole his bike and mobile phone in a canal-side attack.
The 44-year-old man was cycling along the towpath through Mile End Park towards Mile End Road around 6.30pm on Friday last week when his path was blocked by a youth who jumped in his way and punched him in the face.
He was then punched and kicked to the floor by a gang of attackers before managing escaper into Whitman Road, only to be set upon by the same group one more time.
He eventually managed to get away and called the police and ambulance service who took him to hospital where he received treatment for a broken jaw.
You may also want to watch:
Det Con Dean Oakwell from the Tower Hamlets police's robbery squad said: "This was a nasty attack whereby the victim sustained a broken jaw.
"We believe that the group of youths were harassing another man seconds before the incident took place and we are appealing for any information, especially from pedestrians or cyclists that were in the vicinity."
- 1 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 3 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 4 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 5 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 6 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 7 Mum praises 'amazing' NHS staff who saved 'precious' tot's life
- 8 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 9 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 10 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
The ringleader in the attack is described by police as an Asian boy aged around 16, 5ft 8ins tall, of slim to medium build with short black hair.
He was wearing a black jacket with a white top underneath which had a black 'A' logo on the front as well as blue jeans and white trainers.
The property stolen was a yellow bike and a mobile phone.
Police are appealing for anyone with information to contact Det Con Simon Biscoe in the robbery squad on 020 8217 7265 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. Witnesses can also email email@example.com.