Gang breaks cyclist's jaw as they rob him of bike in Mile End
ROBBERS broke a cyclist s jaw when they stole his bike and mobile phone in a canal-side attack. The 44-year-old man was cycling along the towpath through Mile End Park towards Mile End Road around 6.30pm on Friday last week when his path was blocked by a
ROBBERS broke a cyclist's jaw when they stole his bike and mobile phone in a canal-side attack.
The 44-year-old man was cycling along the towpath through Mile End Park towards Mile End Road around 6.30pm on Friday last week when his path was blocked by a youth who jumped in his way and punched him in the face.
He was then punched and kicked to the floor by a gang of attackers before managing escaper into Whitman Road, only to be set upon by the same group one more time.
He eventually managed to get away and called the police and ambulance service who took him to hospital where he received treatment for a broken jaw.
You may also want to watch:
Det Con Dean Oakwell from the Tower Hamlets police's robbery squad said: "This was a nasty attack whereby the victim sustained a broken jaw.
"We believe that the group of youths were harassing another man seconds before the incident took place and we are appealing for any information, especially from pedestrians or cyclists that were in the vicinity."
- 1 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 2 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 3 Covid stats show cases rising across east London boroughs
- 4 John McDonnell is character witness for Poplar MP accused of housing fraud
- 5 ‘Humanitarian disaster’ food shortage for East End families in poverty
- 6 Driver demo blocks Uber's Whitechapel HQ in termination appeals dispute
- 7 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 8 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 9 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 10 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
The ringleader in the attack is described by police as an Asian boy aged around 16, 5ft 8ins tall, of slim to medium build with short black hair.
He was wearing a black jacket with a white top underneath which had a black 'A' logo on the front as well as blue jeans and white trainers.
The property stolen was a yellow bike and a mobile phone.
Police are appealing for anyone with information to contact Det Con Simon Biscoe in the robbery squad on 020 8217 7265 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. Witnesses can also email firstname.lastname@example.org.