Gang breaks cyclist's jaw as they rob him of bike in Mile End
ROBBERS broke a cyclist s jaw when they stole his bike and mobile phone in a canal-side attack. The 44-year-old man was cycling along the towpath through Mile End Park towards Mile End Road around 6.30pm on Friday last week when his path was blocked by a
ROBBERS broke a cyclist's jaw when they stole his bike and mobile phone in a canal-side attack.
The 44-year-old man was cycling along the towpath through Mile End Park towards Mile End Road around 6.30pm on Friday last week when his path was blocked by a youth who jumped in his way and punched him in the face.
He was then punched and kicked to the floor by a gang of attackers before managing escaper into Whitman Road, only to be set upon by the same group one more time.
He eventually managed to get away and called the police and ambulance service who took him to hospital where he received treatment for a broken jaw.
You may also want to watch:
Det Con Dean Oakwell from the Tower Hamlets police's robbery squad said: "This was a nasty attack whereby the victim sustained a broken jaw.
"We believe that the group of youths were harassing another man seconds before the incident took place and we are appealing for any information, especially from pedestrians or cyclists that were in the vicinity."
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
The ringleader in the attack is described by police as an Asian boy aged around 16, 5ft 8ins tall, of slim to medium build with short black hair.
He was wearing a black jacket with a white top underneath which had a black 'A' logo on the front as well as blue jeans and white trainers.
The property stolen was a yellow bike and a mobile phone.
Police are appealing for anyone with information to contact Det Con Simon Biscoe in the robbery squad on 020 8217 7265 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. Witnesses can also email firstname.lastname@example.org.