Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs bring ‘Cafe football’ to Westfield
- Credit: Archant
Traditional half time food is set to be dished up with a twist at a new restaurant being opened by Ryan Giggs and Gary Neville celebrating the beautiful game.
The legendary former Manchester United team-mates are going into business together to bring Café Football to Westfield Stratford City.
It promises to give the club’s legion of southern fans – famously derided by ex-captain Roy Keane as the “prawn sandwich brigade” – a café capturing “authentic football culture”.
Gary Neville, who has established himself as a leading football pundit since retiring as a right back, said: “Opening a new restaurant is an exciting prospect for us.
“Our aim is to create a dining experience which can be enjoyed by people who love food and love football.”
You may also want to watch:
The café, in Westfield’s dining section The Street, will seat 140 people and bring 40 jobs to the area when it opens later this month.
Its menu has been designed by two Michelin star chef Michael Wignall – and promises to see traditional half time fare transformed.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 5 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Rotherhithe tunnel to close all next week for urgent repairs
Among its staples will be pies, lamb kebabs and sausage rolls. Desserts on offer include half time oranges “with a twist” of parfait and cream, and a “pistachio turf” sponge and chocolate in the shape of a football pitch.
For those looking for a half time refreshment can sip on a Red Devil cocktail – a drink which nails Giggs’ and Neville’s colours firmly to the mast.
Ryan Giggs, who remains a player/coach at Manchester United, said: “We will be operating alongside some of the world’s most famous brands and we’re sure our offering will add something unique to this already fantastic shopping and leisure district.
“There is a real sense of community within fans and we want that fun atmosphere to spread to Café Football — it will be a place that reflects the spirit of fans coming together after a match.”
The restaurant’s manager, Liz Reece, added: “We are currently in the process of building a skilled team, who will make dining at the restaurant an unforgettable experience for everyone who visits us.”