Gay attack victim has been left paralysed, court told
PUBLISHED: 11:08 02 October 2008 | UPDATED: 13:40 05 October 2010
A 15-YEAR-OLD has appeared in court charged with a serious homophobic attack on a gay man who has been left permanently paralysed from the waist down. The teenager, who can not be named for legal reasons, spoke only to confirm his name and East Ham add
A 15-YEAR-OLD has appeared in court charged with a "serious homophobic attack" on a gay man who has been left permanently paralysed from the waist down.
The teenager, who can not be named for legal reasons, spoke only to confirm his name and East Ham address at Thames Youth Court in Bow yesterday.
Dressed in a white hooded top and dark jeans, the Asian youth at one point held his head in his hands.
Police had earlier charged him with homophobic aggravated assault with intent, occasioning grievous bodily harm.
Magistrates refused an application for bail by his lawyers and he was remanded in custody until his next appearance at a crown court.
The court was told that the youth was one of a group who had left a 21-year-old gay man critically ill in hospital after an alleged attack outside the George and Dragon in Hackney Road near the Boundary estate in Bethnal Green on August 28.
The victim underwent surgery on his brain and lungs, prosecutors said.
The court head that his spinal chord was stabbed, leaving him permanently paralysed from the waist down.
Police have made several other arrests in connection with the incident and are still appealing for witnesses to come forward.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box below for details.