General election: East London goes to the polls
- Credit: Getty Images
People across East London have began to cast their votes in this year’s general election.
Thousands of Tower Hamlets residents will be voting for the next MP in the borough’s two constituencies – Bethnal Green and Bow, and Poplar and Limehouse.
The seats have been respectively held by Labour’s Rushanara Ali and Jim Fitzpatrick since 2010.
The overall outcome of the general election is the most uncertain for decades, with no party on course to emerge a clear winner.
Last-ditch appeals by party leaders did nothing to break the opinion poll deadlock and left the country facing the prospect of another hung parliament.
You may also want to watch:
But with millions apparently still undecided or open to changing their minds, the likely new Westminster balance of power remained highly unclear.
Among the last set of polls, three showed the main parties level pegging, three had the Conservatives in front by a single point and one gave Labour a two-point advantage.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 5 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 6 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 7 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 8 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 9 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 10 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
Keep checking our dedicated election section for all of today’s news as it happens.