General Election: Kinnock in East End to boost Labour’s chances
FORMER Labour leader Neil Kinnock is in London’s East End tonight to help boost the local candidate’s chances at next month’s General Election. Lord Kinnock, who lost two elections in 1987 and 1992, is being joined by Energy Secretary Ed Miliband and former Health Secretary Frank Dobson
FORMER Labour leader Neil Kinnock is in London’s East End tonight to help boost the local candidate’s chances at next month’s General Election.
Lord Kinnock, who lost two elections to Margaret Thatcher in 1987 and John Major in 1992, is throwing the gauntlet down to the Hard Left which is fighting two East End constituencies, reminiscent of his struggle with Militant Tendency infiltrating Labour in the 1980s.
He is being joined by Energy Secretary Ed Miliband and former Health Secretary Frank Dobson.
They are guest speakers for the campaign launch of first-time Labour candidate Rushanara Ali, who hopes to regain the East End’s Bethnal Green & Bow constituency on May 6 that Left-wing George Galloway snatched from Labour’s Oona King in 2005. Galloway, meanwhile, has switched to neighbouring Poplar & Canning Town to take on Labour’s Farms Minister Jim Fitzpatrick.
Rushanara’s campaign launch being unveiled at Whitechapel’s Mulberry Secondary school in an hour’s time (7pm) is aimed at uniting the East End,’ one of Britain’s most deprived areas. Tower Hamlets is raked with allegations of infiltration Islamist’ politics and a local Labour party that is on special measures in its battle to keep control of the Town Hall which also goes to the polls on May 6.
- 1 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 2 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 3 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 4 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets
- 5 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 6 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
- 7 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
- 8 Leyton Orient could send goalkeeper Sargeant back out on loan
- 9 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 10 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi