George Galloway ignores East End politicians' anti-IFE boycott of anti-Muslim hate debate
POLITICIANS from the major parties are boycotting a seminar about anti-Muslim hatred staged by the controversial Islamic Forum of Europe. The IFE had invited the main candidates from Poplar and Limehouse to speak at the seminar entitled confronting Anti
POLITICIANS from the major parties are boycotting a seminar about anti-Muslim hatred staged by the controversial Islamic Forum of Europe.
The IFE had invited the main candidates from Poplar and Limehouse to speak at the seminar entitled confronting Anti-Muslim Hatred in Contemporary Britain in Whitechapel tonight .
The IFE which aims 'to develop the Muslim community and benefit wider society' featured in a recent Channel 4 Dispatches programme which alleged it had a strategy to infiltrate Tower Hamlets council.
The current Poplar and Limehouse MP Labour's Jim Fitzpatrick said: "I've told the IFE I'm not going to attend. I don't want to give them any credibility whatsoever."
You may also want to watch:
The Conservative candidate Tim Archer who is a serving Tower Hamlets councillor has also ruled out attending.
He said: "I don't wish to be on a platform that is questionable."
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
The Lib Dem's Jonathan Fryer had a long-standing engagement and is unable to attend.
He said: "I won't be there. Not because I am boycotting it but because I have a long-standing engagement. I will be sending a written response. I believe it's important to engage with people."
Bethnal Green and Bow Respect MP George Galloway will be speaking at the event. Also listed to speak are Dr Robert Lambert, the former boss of Scotland Yard's Muslim Contact Unit, the ex president of the IFE Muhammad Habibur Rahman and Oliver McTernan who was involved in post conflict talks between NATO and the former Yugoslav government.