Get hands dirty at Bow Bridge and clean up Lea River, Canal Trust urges public
- Credit: Canal Trust
Volunteers are being urged to roll up their sleeves and help clean up the banks along the River Lea in east London.
An appeal goes out this week from the Canal & River Trust inviting the public to help spruce up the riverfront between Three Mills and the Bow Bridge roundabout on the A11.
They would trim vegetation, pick litter and plant bulbs to make the banks shipshape for spring.
The clean-up on Saturday, March 15, is from 10am to 12.30pm and 1.30-4pm on the towpath by Three Mills Lane Bridge opposite Tesco’s superstore.
The work is part of the trust’s volunteering project to encourage people to get their hands dirty to help protect east London’s industrial heritage and wildlife habitat and take more ‘ownership’ of their local waterway.
You may also want to watch:
Projects include painting lock gates, improving access to towpaths, clearing overgrown vegetation, cleaning up litter and graffiti and helping wildlife by building nest and bat boxes and planting reed beds.
Tools and equipment are being provided on March 15 to tidy up the Lea Riverbank, but volunteers are urged to wear hard-soled shoes and old clothes they don’t mind getting dirty!
Volunteers can call 030-3040 4040, contact Becky Williams on 07799-436816, or get online details at the Canal Trust website.
- 1 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 2 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 3 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 4 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 7 'Grief and queer coming of age' theatre show to be put on for London Horror Festival
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 10 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences