Get hands dirty at Bow Bridge and clean up Lea River, Canal Trust urges public
- Credit: Canal Trust
Volunteers are being urged to roll up their sleeves and help clean up the banks along the River Lea in east London.
An appeal goes out this week from the Canal & River Trust inviting the public to help spruce up the riverfront between Three Mills and the Bow Bridge roundabout on the A11.
They would trim vegetation, pick litter and plant bulbs to make the banks shipshape for spring.
The clean-up on Saturday, March 15, is from 10am to 12.30pm and 1.30-4pm on the towpath by Three Mills Lane Bridge opposite Tesco’s superstore.
The work is part of the trust’s volunteering project to encourage people to get their hands dirty to help protect east London’s industrial heritage and wildlife habitat and take more ‘ownership’ of their local waterway.
You may also want to watch:
Projects include painting lock gates, improving access to towpaths, clearing overgrown vegetation, cleaning up litter and graffiti and helping wildlife by building nest and bat boxes and planting reed beds.
Tools and equipment are being provided on March 15 to tidy up the Lea Riverbank, but volunteers are urged to wear hard-soled shoes and old clothes they don’t mind getting dirty!
Volunteers can call 030-3040 4040, contact Becky Williams on 07799-436816, or get online details at the Canal Trust website.
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 9 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 10 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single