Gherkin volunteers make that giant step for ChildLine
VOLUNTEERS plan to trek up more than a-thousand steps at London’s iconic Gherkin tower block to raise funds for ChildLine, the national children’s help-line. The NSPCC has been given exclusive access to the 38-storey office complex on February 7 for its Step Challenge’
VOLUNTEERS plan to trek up more than a-thousand steps at London's iconic Gherkin tower block to raise funds for ChildLine, the national children's help-line.
The NSPCC has been given exclusive access to the 38-storey office complex in St Mary Axe, near Aldgate, on February 7 for its 'Step Challenge' event.
Hundreds are signing up to take part to raise �125,000 for the charity's Child's Voice Appeal.
Volunteers can enter as individuals or in teams of four and walk or run up the 1,037 steps to the bar at the top, where they get a glass of champagne and a stunning view of the London skyline.
Money raised from the Step Change, supported by GMTV's 'Mr Motivator', goes towards the NSPCC's three-year Child's Voice appeals to raise �50 million to run and expand the help-lines, text and online counselling operated from its national call-centre at nearby Folgate Street in Spitalfields.
You may also want to watch:
Entry fee is �40 and those taking the challenge are asked to raise a minimum �250 each. Entry for teams of four is �150, with a minimum �1,000 to raise. The less adventurous can take the 'champagne' lift for �75.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 4 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 5 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 6 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London
- 7 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 8 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 9 'Set deadline to remove cladding,' Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 10 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs