Giant 50ft rubber duck enjoys bath in the Thames
It was bath-time at the Thames for this giant rubber duck toy which floated down the river to the delight of bemused commuters this morning (Tuesday).
The 50ft toy, which weighs half a ton, set off from West India Dock at the Isle of Dogs at 8.30am and made its way past Canary Wharf before sailing underneath Tower Bridge en route to HMS Belfast.
Former EastEnders star Barbara Windsor launched the duck to publicise the Facebook FUNdation, a Jackpotjoy.com bursery that will provide grants to Brits who come up with daft ideas to encourage people to have more fun.
The actress, who is patron of the website’s Fundation, said: “We thought a giant rubber duck floating down the River Thames was a great way to kick the FUNdation off, and it definitely raised a smile and a chuckle from everyone who saw it.
“After the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Pageant, the floating Olympic rings and David Beckham jetting into the Olympic opening ceremony, the Thames really has seen it all this year.
You may also want to watch:
“The giant duck was a perfect way to round it all off and it certainly cheered everyone up.”
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 8 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 9 O’s seeking to end winless run of three games with win over struggling Saddlers
- 10 Man, 19, charged after alleged sexual assaults in Tower Hamlets