Giant 50ft rubber duck enjoys bath in the Thames
It was bath-time at the Thames for this giant rubber duck toy which floated down the river to the delight of bemused commuters this morning (Tuesday).
The 50ft toy, which weighs half a ton, set off from West India Dock at the Isle of Dogs at 8.30am and made its way past Canary Wharf before sailing underneath Tower Bridge en route to HMS Belfast.
Former EastEnders star Barbara Windsor launched the duck to publicise the Facebook FUNdation, a Jackpotjoy.com bursery that will provide grants to Brits who come up with daft ideas to encourage people to have more fun.
The actress, who is patron of the website’s Fundation, said: “We thought a giant rubber duck floating down the River Thames was a great way to kick the FUNdation off, and it definitely raised a smile and a chuckle from everyone who saw it.
“After the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Pageant, the floating Olympic rings and David Beckham jetting into the Olympic opening ceremony, the Thames really has seen it all this year.
You may also want to watch:
“The giant duck was a perfect way to round it all off and it certainly cheered everyone up.”
- 1 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 4 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 5 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided