Girl boxer Caroline Dubois, 17, scoops Canary Wharf’s ‘Sports Personality of the Year’ award
- Credit: CWG
A teenage girl boxer who first entered the ring when she was only 11 has scooped the Canary Wharf ‘Sports Personality of the Year’ award.
Caroline Dubois was crowned last night at a ceremony at Canary Wharf’s East Wintergarden.
The 17-year-old from Bethnal Green’s Repton club has an unbroken and unbeaten 22-bout run in domestic and international competition.
Caroline is now a member of the Institute of Sport’s GB Boxing Programme and identified as potential member of Team GB at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
The night was a double scoop for Bethnal Green, with Oakland’s Weighlifters taking the ‘senior team’ title.
The 17th annual awards by Canary Wharf Group was attended by 250 sports personalities, administrators and VIPs.
You may also want to watch:
They included Olympic, European and Commonwealth high jump champ Dalton Grant, Poplar and Limehouse MP Jim Fitzpatrick and London Marathon chief Nick Bitel.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 5 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 6 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 7 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 8 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel
• Junior Team of the Year: Lee Valley London skating club’s Phoenix
team which came second at the 2017 British championships.
• Senior Team of the Year: Oaklands Weightlifters with a mix of National Youth and Regional Championship medallists which also represented Tower Hamlets at the London Youth Games, finishing third.
• Group Achievement: London Disability swimming club, a voluntary organisation supporting para-athletes and their families, building the swimmers’ confidence and self-belief.