Gold medal Olympian Helen Richardson-Walsh opens new hockey pitch in Mile End
- Credit: Archant
A gold-medal winning Olympian officially open a new all-weather hockey pitch in Mile End park which can be used by all the community.
Hockey player Helen Richardson-Walsh joined 120 pupils from schools in the borough who took part in a coaching session.
Describing the pitch as ‘a terrific facility’, she added: “It has been a fantastic day meeting all the school children and seeing them all enjoying playing hockey despite it being freezing cold.
“After speaking to the coaches here they have said how the hockey is continuingly growing ever since London 2012 as people have been inspired by the national team to get involved.
“It was part of our team’s vision to inspire a generation and it is great to see it in action.”
You may also want to watch:
The new pitch, part funded by The London Marathon Charitable Trust, was built during last summer and replaces the old astro pitch that was nearing the end of its usable life.
Cllr Abdul Mukit, culture member for culture and youth, said: “I’m delighted that Tower Hamlets has this new facility that can be used by local clubs, schools and community groups so that they can take part in a wide variety of sport and physical activity programmes.”
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns