Golf pros will help beginners get to grips with the sport at Bethnal Green event
Half-term is the perfect time for schoolchildren to take up a new hobby or activity and a sports day tomorrow in Bethnal Green could help them find a favourite.
Adults as well are welcome to the event in Bethnal Green Gardens, next to the underground station’s entrance, which is organised as part of Tower Hamlets council’s multi-sports programme.
Basketball and football tournaments will be organised in the Gardens’ courts and goals but top of the bill could be a chance to play golf with professional players.
Simon Kahn, winner of the 2010 PGA Championship, who was born in Waltham Forest; Nigel Lawrence, of the International Golf Development Agency and James Healey will tee off against amateur players in a beginner-friendly version of the sport called SNAG.
Starting New At Golf allows new players to use lighter clubs and a softer ball to practice shots like chipping, pitching and putting onto a bulls-eye target or sticky flag.
You may also want to watch:
The game is being promoted in Tower Hamlets schools by the school sports partnership, a cross-schools body designed to promote sports participation and competitions and the Orchid Cancer Charity, which has Professor Tim Oliver, a former cancer doctor at the Royal London Hospital and Barts, as one of its trustees.
Introductions to the new game will take place from 11am to 12pm, there will be workshops between 12pm and 1pm and then a chance to play a nine-hole course to be set up in the Gardens.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 10 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
You can register in advance at email@example.com or turn up on the day.